Palm Beach Outpatient, Florida Klonopin Withdrawal

How Long Does Withdrawal From Klonopin Last?

Klonopin (clonazepam) is a medication commonly prescribed for the treatment of anxiety and insomnia. It is intended for short-term use. This is because, after about several weeks, most people develop a physical dependence. When someone is dependent on a drug like Klonopin, it means they will experience withdrawal symptoms if they stop taking it or reduce their dose.

Klonopin withdrawal symptoms can last for days to weeks and in some cases longer. They may begin within hours of the drug leaving your system and may come and go at times. Klonopin withdrawal typically includes a variety of uncomfortable symptoms, such as anxiety and irritation. In some cases, symptoms can include life-threatening seizures.

Overview of Klonopin Withdrawal

Klonopin is a member of a family of drugs called benzodiazepines, or more simply, benzos. Benzos, including Valium (diazepam) and Xanax (alprazolam), are among the most commonly prescribed medications in the country. According to national survey data, nearly 30 million people used them in 2015.1

Some people take benzos exactly, or almost exactly, as directed by their physician. Others acquire them illegally or intentionally take them more often, or in larger doses than they are supposed to.

It doesn’t actually matter too much which type of Klonopin user you are. That’s because anyone taking benzos for longer than three to four weeks, even people taking them exactly as directed, can experience withdrawal symptoms.

Among people using benzos for more than six months, about 40% will experience moderate-to-severe withdrawal symptoms. The other 60% will still have symptoms, but they will be far milder.2

Call Now Button